Monday, February 11, 2013

Copy-Cat of The Adventurer

Today we went sledding. Down a huge hill on the property that some of our young farmer friends live on. It was fantastic. And an awesome work out. Trekking through three feet of snow up the long, steep hill after each run was exhausting, and exhilerating. My entire body is sore, and I'm cold through to my bones despite a steaming hot shower...but it was worth it.

Anyway. In Salem, there is a vegetarian restaurant called Life Alive and at this place, there is a dish called The Adventurer. I love this dish. I love it so much that sometimes I find myself daydreaming about it, and thinking about when I can next accidentally find myself in Salem right around lunch time so I can consume it. I never knew that an enormous pile of vegetables could be so addicting, but this dish is. Maybe its the chewy quinoa. Or the crunchy almonds. Or the sesame-ginger kale. Or maybe its all of these things. I stared at a picture of the dish online for a long time, and then went to business recreating it.

This dish is more about the components and less about the measurements. So, depending on how much you want, make accordingly. I didn't have brown rice, so I made a sticky-sushi rice instead, which was equally good. And....Lets get to it.
First, make the rice. I make mine in a rice cooker which succeeds every single time. I have a hard time with  stove top rice-- I'm pretty picky about it since I was basically raised on amazing rice in Thailand...and they make theirs in a rice cooker, so I do too. If you don't have brown rice, or sticky Japanese rice, use Jasmine rice. 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cup water. Same with the quinoa, which you should soak and rinse first. Then bring it to a boil, and lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. 

As for vegetables you'll need:
Beets
Kale
Broccoli 
carrots
corn

Sauce:
1 1/2 tbs sesame oil
3 tbs soy sauce
3 tbs vinegar
1 tbs minced fresh ginger
1 tbs minced garlic
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 tbs sesame seeds

Toppings
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/8 cup mozz cheese (or cheddar)

Chop the veggies up into bite size pieces, and steam them until JUST tender. Do the beets separately or they'll turn everything purple. Mix together all of the sauce ingredients, and then simmer it for a few minuties on the stove to release the garlic and ginger flavor. And then assemble!

First, there were two plates.
Then there was 1/3 cup of rice on each
And 1/4 cup of quinoa (more on Nicks....because he needs more)
Then there was a mound of kale.
And a delectable pile of corn, carrots, broccoli, and beets
Then a steaming drizzle of savory sauce.
Then a hearty topping of the almonds (split between the two) and a little bit of cheese.
This dish was incredible. Filled with flavor, and the perfect amount of crunch thanks to the almonds. And so healthy that I'm thinking of eating it for like fifteen more meals this month....Or at least inventing a few more similar varieties. 

The snow weekend is over, and I am a little bit sad about it-- I'll admit. But I feel refreshed, and rested. I got to spend so much time with Nick-- and next week is Valentines day! And then my dad is coming for a visit. So there is plenty to look forward to. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, love to hear from you!