Thursday, March 14, 2013

Peanut-Sesame Chicken with Ginger-Soy Veggies



    I've been on an Asian-food inspired kick lately. Probably because every ounce of my being is longing for Chiang Mai. It always happens around this time of the year. Although its easier this time around because I know that I'll actually be there in just over three months. Where I'll eat all the Thai food I can get my hands on, which will be A LOT and I can't wait...but in the mean time, this Peanut-Sesame Chicken with Ginger-Soy Veggies can help tide me over.

A tender marinated breast of peanut-y chicken over sauteed veggies laced with ginger and topped with crunchy almonds. Delicious. And protein packed, which is good, because Nick says I don't eat enough protein. And probably he is right. 

I made the marinade for this in the morning, and soaked the chicken all day. I also cut up the veggies so that when I got home from work at 7:30, all I had to do was assemble the goods.

For the marinade:
First, you'll need one tablespoon of diced garlic. I like to use fresh garlic. The stuff in the jar never tastes the same.
Add two tablespoons of soy sauce.
Two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
Two tablespoons pre-made Thai Peanut sauce (you can get this in the Asian aisle at the supermarket)


A palmful of toasted sesame seeds, a dash of crushed red pepper, and a teaspoon of white pepper.
Mix it all together, and add three breasts of chicken. 

Let it marinate for at least four hours. Before you put the chicken in the frying pan, get the veggies ready. You really could use whatever you like for this part, but I used mustard greens, zuchinni, yellow squash, and carrots. And garlic. Of course. Chop everything up into medium bite sized pieces.


In a small bowl, mix up the sauce for the vegetables using:

3 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs vinegar
2 tsp fish sauce
1/3 cup chicken broth
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp cornstarch

Whisk all the ingredients.

Pour 2 tsp sesame oil into a large pan, or a wok, and fry the garlic until it is just starting to get brown. Add all the veggies, pour the sauce over them, combine, and then turn the heat to low.

Meanwhile, in a non stick pan, add about 1 tsp sesame oil and heat it up. Place the chicken breasts in the pan, turn the heat to medium, and cover them. 
Turn the breasts occasionally until they are cooked through. I usually use a fork to pull away the meat in the center to make sure its no longer pink before serving. 
Once the chicken is cooked, and the vegetables are tender, serve it all up. Chop a few almonds to top the veggies, and dig in. 
This is a fantastic meal to replenish and fill you up after a good workout. And it satisfied (at least temporarily) my Thai food craving.
Just 3.5 more months till we're in Chiang Mai! Street food, here I come!

Enjoy the weekend everyone. I've been on a break making kick, so maybe I will get the gumption to post a recipe of it up here. 








1 comment:

  1. You know what I've been wanting to make but have been to afraid to because I can't remember how to make it and I don't want to mess it up? Chicken with cashew nuts. Remember making that in your kitchen? And bringing it to Woodville Baptist and having the car break down and we kept sneaking cashew nuts? I have no idea where the recipe is now, but I have a bag of those dried chilies, so you should make that recipe and share it next. ;) I miss you so!

    ReplyDelete

I would love, love, love to hear from you!