Thursday, December 6, 2012

Skinny-Creamy Perogies

Last night Nick and I watched Start Wars episode V, the Empire Strikes Back. Which I used to be OBSESSED with as a twelve year old in Thailand. Nick and I hadn't seen them in years, and years, and, while reveling in the sweet nostalgia, we laughed. Nick fell asleep (like he does) after about fifteen minutes-- before they'd even made it out of the snowy wonderland that the rebels were hiding out on-- but I watched all of it. And, you know? Even with the one-liners and the terrible acting (Luke Skywalker, I'm talking about you.) it was so, so good.

The other night I had an overwhelming craving for macaroni and cheese with kielbasa-- and age old favorite of mine. But, to be quite honest, I don't eat things like macaroni and cheese. So I tweaked it. And what came out was a delicious, cheesy, creamy meal that was tasty and filling and didn't make me feel guilty (or give me cheese-belly).

Introducing: Skinny- Creamy Perogies. Now, as a disclaimer, Nick, who is a Perogie purist (as in, he refuses to enjoy them unless they are made in the way he grew up eating them--stir fried with onions and sausage) wasn't a huge fan. I, however, loved it. And that's what counts. Cause I do the cooking and the buying of groceries.

It was a quick meal-- and I used lots of freezer basics. 

Ingredients: (serves 3)
2 cups frozen cauliflower florets
1/2 cup milk (I used raw milk since that's what we had-- but 2% would be ideal)
1/2 grated cheese (I used cheddar and Parmesan)
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp oregano
1/2 cup frozen pees
1 package frozen or fresh Perogies
two links fresh Kielbasa

First, boil or steam the cauliflower until softened, about ten minutes. Place the kielbasa, split down the center, on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Roast it in the oven at 415 degrees until they are browned and cooked through.
 Place the cauliflower in a food processor with the milk, salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic, and puree until very smooth.
Cook the Perogies according to the package directions. Pour the cauliflower puree into a sauce pan, and stir in the cheese. Turn the heat to medium, and add the pees and then the cooked perogies. Stir until everything is well coated with the sauce, and the cheese is melted. Serve it up along side the kielbasa. 
I ate mine with a little bit of barbecue sauce on the side-- delicious. And you could just as easily make a real classic mac and cheese with elbow noodles instead of perogies. That way if your husband is also a purist, he won't be able to complain.

Have a wonderful, sunlight filled Thursday. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, love to hear from you!