Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Harvest Pie

Its hard to believe that Thanksgiving is JUST around the river bend...Pocahontas style. I love Thanksgiving not only because I love large feasts but also because love my family and I love that my husband will have a few days off. I feel like I'm back in College again, longing for school breaks.
     I read an article in Women's Health (which I 'borrowed' from the gym on purpose  accidentally) that the average American inhales about 4500 calories during the Thanksgiving meal (which doesn't include breakfast, or that GIANT turkey sandwich you eat at 9:00 while watching the first Christmas movie of the year. Or is that just me?) which is incredible. That's a solid 2.5 days worth of calories...Last year Nick and I ran a five mile pretend race (as in there was a race but we didn't want to pay to sign up for it so like huge losers we ran sort of behind it the whole way. Sneakily.) last year on Thanksgiving morning. He was sick, and sneezing and sniffling, and I was like a slave master forcing him onward. Which was probably enraging to him, since he is the real athlete and I am only an impostor.
Here we are. See how miserable he looks? And how I am looking overly peppy?

Anyway. The run helped  to set the day straight and led me to indulge thoughtfully, not wildly. Since that is the thing. Thanksgiving is a tiny bit about indulgence. But it's not about laying on the ground prostrate with an aching belly. I don't think. 
   The article in Women's Health provided a food guide  to follow to ensure that "only" 1000 calories gets consumed on The Day. I'm going to try to follow it (to an extent, since luckily I don't like cranberry sauce OR dark meat so there are two things I can substitute out for MORE PIE) and revel in the day without the feelings of guilt and heartburn. 

Anyway, in light of the approaching foodathon, I put together this delicious caramel-apple-pear-peach crumb pie, which I have renamed Harvest Pie to simplify matters. It is delectable, and as far as desserts and pies go, relatively guilt free. And that is something to be thankful for. I'm going to make one to bring to my Aunts house for The Day, and since most the family is Gluten free, it'll mean I get to take the leftovers home. Twist my arm, if you must Auntie. 
The pie is a myriad of flavors and textures, between the tart sweetness of the apples, the chewy caramel swirl, the crunchy-soft crumb top and the hint of peach and pear. Also, just to top it off, I added some dried cranberries to it for an extra zing. Throw on some local vanilla ice cream and you have heaven.


To start with, peel and slice three large apples (I used Who Knows What Jumbo Kind From a Farmer Friend), 2 Bartlett pears, and one peach of your choosing. Then put it all in a pot with 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 2 teaspoons of honey and 1 tablespoon maple syrup. Add six soft Caramel candies. I used Trader Joes Fleur de Sel salted caramels. They are little, and four is a serving size. Put a lid over it and let the fruit simmer and the caramel melt while you put together the pie crust.
    I was too lazy to make my own crust. I know my little sister, who is the real chef in the family (she runs a restaurant while I barely run a blog...) will be horrified to read this. Baby sister, I will make your crust recipe soon and very soon, but I only had an hour before work when I made this! 
Anyway. Grease a pie pan (or a cast iron pan) and lay your crust in it. Then using 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup flour, and 2 tbs softened butter, make the crumb top. Get your hands in it, because getting a little dirty makes it all the crumblier. 
      Once the fruit is slightly softened, pour it into your pie pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle on the crumb top and break up two more caramel candies so you have a little bit of a caramel drizzle. Finish it up with 1/8 cup of dried cranberries, then bake the whole things at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes.
Eat it warm, topped with fresh whipping cream or ice cream and revel. 

Even Lupe the Dog wants some. And who can blame her? Once she ate sixteen homemade cinnamon rolls, so she has a sweet tooth to say the least. Yes. Sixteen. Talk about a stomach ache...Also a heart ache on my part because I never even got to try one. But Lupe said they were delicious. 

Recipe for Harvest Pie

Filling:
3 peeled, sliced apples
2 peeled, sliced pears
1 sliced peach
2 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs maple syrup
2 tsp honey
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
6 small caramel candies
(simmer until softened)

Crust:
home made or store bought-- just bottom crust needed

Crumb Top:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup flour
2 tbs (more if needed) softened butter
1/8 cup dried cranberries
2 soft caramel candies

Enjoy it, and start thinking of things to be thankful for. We have so, so much.





1 comment:

  1. A you say you only had an hour before work so you used a pre-made pie crust.... Well you had it on hand which means you planned at sometime to cheat, no? Love you Love your blog

    ReplyDelete

I would love, love, love to hear from you!