Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Brusseled-Pasta

The incredible thing is, I am sick again. I had been on a small mental high about the fact that, compared to me in the old days, I was hardly ever getting coughs and colds. But now since suddenly both myself and my husband are working consistently (daily in my case) with kids, the germs are bound to be abundant. So, I am typing this with a (literally) dripping nose. Charming.
I am filled with body pain, exhaustion, and headaches, so yesterday I took it easy with a 2 mile beach walk and today I rested in total. I slept in. I stayed in my pj's. I drank tea. Then I went to work.

I feel amazingly blessed to live in a place so beautiful. And to have quick access to views like this. Oh, New England.



Lupe loves nothing more than running into the waves, the freezing icy cold waves-- even in winter time. This is because she has Dog Blubber I guess.



My dear friend spent the day with me on Sunday and we did some Christmas shopping and then made a good dinner for Nick and his friend Jon who also works on the farm. I was inspired by a recipe on Skinny Taste to  put together this pasta dish. That is usually how my recipes work-- I am not so good at thinking up things on my own, but if I see a picture of something I like, I can easily create my own version of it. Which is exactly what happened with this dish.

Al dente penne tossed in a savory turkey-sausage sauce and combined with bacon laced brussell sprouts-- and its so filling that you really don't need to eat much. This recipe should serve at least seven. 

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground turkey
2 Italian sausage links
1/2 white onion (diced)
6 cloves garlic (divided)
1 carrot (diced)
2 stalks celery (diced)
1 large can whole tomatoes (pureed) 
1 small can fresh tomato sauce
salt, pepper, and a dash of Italian seasoning
1-2 crumbled up dried mini peppers, or a shake or two of red pepper flakes
about 1 1/2 cups shredded brussell sprouts
1 slice of bacon
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
1 package penne pasta

First, put the turkey in a nonstick pan, and crumble the sausage into it as well. While this browns up, dice all of the veggies, and thinly slice the sprouts. Once the meat is cooked, remove it from the pan and cook the slice of bacon in the remaining oil. Once crispy, remove the bacon and throw three diced garlic cloves in. Cook just until they start turning golden, then add the sprouts in with some salt and pepper (as much as you prefer. I like a good amount). Cook them until they are just tender, and then remove them into a separate bowl and crumble the bacon on top.

    In the same pan, add the diced celery, carrot, onion, and the remaining garlic with some more s+p and some Italian seasoning. Once the veggies are cooked down, add in the meat, the pureed tomatoes, the crushed red peppers, and the tomato sauce. Stir it up, add in a little more seasoning, and simmer.
While the sauce cooks (on low) boil the water for the pasta, and cook it until it is just al dente. Drain the pasta and put it back into the large pot. Pour the sauce over it, add the mozzarella, and the brussell sprouts. Combine everything, and then serve it up with some (optional) Parmesan on top. 
Trust me when I say this is SO GOOD! The sauce is a little bit creamy (thanks to the mozzarella) and the meat is flavorful and savory with the addition of the sausage in there. And, like I said, its so filling that you don't really end up eating that much. Plus, on top of it all, its a pretty lean indulgence.

Today I am accessing one of my own recipes to make dinner, which is exciting. Nick requested the butternut-squash carbonara, so I'm checking my archives to make sure I doit right. I also managed to squeak out a 3.3 mile run today despite my miserable, aching, sick body. They say exercise can speed the healing process...so we'll see.

I hope you are having a wonderful week. Christmas is coming!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, love to hear from you!