Sunday, December 2, 2012

Pot Roast, and Resting

I am, to put it mildly, obsessive about exercising. I have an overwhelming guilt complex just in general about everything I think I should or shouldn't do, but when it comes to exercising it is a million times worse. Maybe because I am scared of losing control, or maybe because I know that my melancholic nature needs it, I have myself on a rigid schedule for mostly everything. I am bad at taking time off. I am bad at relaxing.
   Yesterday, between my long work day, and frantically braving the crowds to get decorations for our Christmas tree that we're setting up today, I didn't have time to work out. That was ok. I allow myself, without guilt, one full day off a week. But this morning, I slept in, and Nick took the morning off to make a special breakfast for me, and get a Christmas tree and I fought a long battle with myself-- do I 'waste' an hour of our morning running alone, or do I just suck it up and remind myself to take it easy for gods sake and calm it on down. And so that is why I am here right now and not frantically trying to get ready to make it on time to see the YMCA kids show in Salem.

This has been a busy week, and I didn't do too much interesting cooking-- mostly quick dinners with our fading remnants of groceries. But I did make a delicious pot roast on Thursday. Potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, pork(bum), all slow cooked in a rich gravy  that I thickened with a little sour cream before serving. It was incredibly savory, warm, and delicious. A perfect meal for a late, cold night after a long day of work.
First, take your bum of pork (probably about 1.5 pounds of meat? I used half a bum) and coat it in salt, pepper, and smashed garlic. Sear it in a little olive oil until its browned on both sides. Place it in the crock pot, and then throw three large cut carrots, two large cut potatoes, three cloves of garlic, and half of a large chopped onion into the pan the pork was in. Caramelize everything a little bit, and then put the veggies over the meat. Add in 2/3 cup of sliced canned tomatoes, 2/3 cup chicken broth, 1/2 tbs fresh sage, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and a few seeds of cardamom to the meat and veggies. turn it to low, and cook for at least 6 hours.

When you get home from work, take the meat and veggies out and remove about 1/2 cup of the gravy. whisk in 1 tbs of low fat sour cream and serve it over the meal.
The root vegetables are tender, but not falling apart (perfect), and the meat is absolutely mouth watering.
And it takes only about fifteen minutes to get this in the pot and cooking. 

In other news, Alice the Cat has a hurt paw and has been spending more time indoors in the evening while he heals. Last night, I saw Lupe at the top of the stairs, and later realized that the two of them were resting together-- not cuddling, exactly, which I'm sure Lupe was disappointed about...but for Alice it's about as close to cuddling as he gets. 
Have a lovely Sunday. Next week I will try to be more faithful. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so, so happy that Alice is alive and (relatively) well!! When did he come back?

    ReplyDelete

I would love, love, love to hear from you!