Sunday, November 25, 2012

Giving Thanks

After a several-day Thanksgiving hiatus, I am back. It was a lovely holiday, despite the catastrophe that happened to us on The Day when Nicks car hood flew up while driving 55 miles per hour and smashed his windshield to bits. But...in spite of it, and the stress it caused...and the fact that we didn't have time to meet up with my dear friend...it reminded me (us) full force of all the things to be grateful for. Namely that we weren't a. dead, b. hurt, and c. separated.
   We ate large off of two full Thanksgiving feasts-- one on Thursday at my Aunts house, and one on Friday at Nicks parents house. It was full of warmth, good food, company, and laughter.
Here, although somewhat blurry, Nick displays what a zombie would do to a Turkey. The Walking Dead is on tonight. Thank goodness.

Meanwhile, we have TONS of leftovers. Still. Tonight is Turkey Noodle Soup night, while yesterday was Breakfast for Dinner night. After a long, wonderful day of teaching and a long Friend Run (for me), I didn't feel like cooking. Which is why we decided on the Brinner (the colloquial word for breakfast for dinner).

I made a Quick Frittata with the leftover sausage stuffing and it came out delicious. Paired with a slice of bacon, and some baked beans, it was a great meal. 

Its light, fluffy, cheesy, and actually quite filling, thanks to the stuffing. And it's a great way to use up some leftovers.

To start, put a pat of butter in the frying pan. Just enough to make sure the whole thing won't stick when you bake it. Then, add in however much stuffing you have and turn the heat on low. I had maybe 1 cup of stuffing. 
Then beat five eggs, salt, pepper, and about an 1/8 cup of 2 percent milk until its all frothed up. 
Pour this over the stuffing and turn the heat up to medium. Then, springle some cheese on top-- I used the rest of the left over cracker cheese from our Thanksgiving.
After the bottom has cooked, put it into a preheated 425 degree oven, and bake for about 10 minutes until the egg is set. Then broil it on high for 3 minutes, or until the top is browned and bubbling.

Let it cool for a few moments, and then dig in! 
Crisp on the top, fluffy in the middle-- it's  the best possible combination. Nick even put a little maple syrup on his, but I didn't get that crazy. So, if you need a Christmas Brunch dish, there you have it. 
Speaking of Christmas, today is the decorating day. I am strangely nervous, having never done it all by myself. I want it to be perfect for this, our first Christmas as husband and wife. But I don't really know what perfect is. Or, I do, and perfect is a 1680's wooden house with a gigantic fireplace and washed wooden walls, and dark, low beams, and since that is a pipe dream/ Sturbridge Village, I need to make due with what I have. For heavens sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, love to hear from you!