Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Pantry Ice Cream Pie

Here is the thing. Last night I was feeling irritable and tired when I got home from work-- and I got more irritable and tired when I saw the sink filled with dishes, and saw that Nick had snacked on some of the left overs I was planning on reheating for dinner. But then, Nick came home with a gigantic bouquet of roses for me. I said, "How did you know I was mad at you?" And  he said, "What did I do?" and that is the thing. He didn't even know. It was just pure goodness (and fortune) that caused him to buy me flowers. And that is nice.

Sunday night I made Nick his special birthday dinner, complete with ice cream pie, which is his preferred birthday dessert.

I am not such an ice cream pie person myself, but this one was is delicious, even to me. I used pretty much all pantry items (or items that I got that could be in a pantry-- mine is not so well stocked.) which made it easy, and stress free.

We had guests up at our little Maine house for the festivities-- there is nothing I like to do more than play hostess. And it is such a grown up feeling to play the part in my very own kitchen in my very own (tiny) house. There was an abundance of food, drink, debate, and laughter-- all the the components with which to create the perfect evening.

But-- back to the pie. Today it is SO COLD that its hard to imagine eating this, but that being said I will most likely have a slice for dessert tonight, from the left overs (which are plentiful.)

The fun thing about this pie is you could really play around with it however you like. Mine followed a Snickers theme, since they are the only candy I like.

For this version you'll need:
1 oreo crust
4 oz bittersweet chocolate
3/4 cup heavy cream
4 mini snickers
about 1/4 cup butter scotch chips
1/4 cup peanut butter chips
about 1/4 of a chocolate cake
peanut butter ice cream
caramel ice cream.

This is NOT a low calorie OR healthy ice cream pie. I would never subject a Birthday Man to such a thing. It comes  but once a year.

Start by making your hopefully boxed chocolate cake. This is, after all, a pantry pie. I used a Stout chocolate cake mix which included beer to make it extra manly. After the cake is cooked and cooled (according to package directions) remove about a 1/4 of it, and slice it sideways into thin pieces. I couldn't include a picture of this because the camera turned it blue. No one likes blue cake.

Then, slowly warm the heavy cream in a pot, and break up the bittersweet chocolate in a bowl.
Pour 1/2 cup of the heated cream over the chocolate and stir it up until it is all melted and combined.
Put the 1/4 cup of butterscotch chips in a small bowl, and pour the remaining cream over them, and stir to melt. 

Then, spread the butterscotch-ganache over the bottom of the cookie crust, and let the fun begin.
Then, spread the first layer of icecream-- I started with the Peanut butter ice cream which I got from Shains of Maine and oh my goodness its delicious. 

Then, place a layer of the thinly-sliced chocolate cake on top, and then a layer of the chocolate-ganache-spread that was made at the beginning. Remember? Way back then. On top of the  ganache, sprinkle some sliced up pieces of snickers.
Yum. If its starting to melt at this point, let it sit in the freezer for a few minutes. Its best to use slightly softened ice cream, but it can melt FAST as I found out. I mostly licked up the drippings. 

Next, spread a layer of Caramel ice cream, and sprinkle on the peanut butter chips.

Add another layer of cake, ganache, snickers, and peanut butter ice cream. sprinkle on some crumbled cake for the topping, and five dollops of caramel ice cream.And snickers bits.
Let the whole thing sit in the freezer for at least two hours before serving. And try not to suffer a heart attack when you top it with fresh whipped cream (optional) at the end and feel your arteries closing up. Oh, the joy of it.

Look at all those chewy, decadent layers!

Scrumptious. So, should you have an overwhelming treat craving, and/or a birthday party, shake it up a little. Make a kit-kat variety. Or a mars-bars if that's what you're into. I'm  not here to judge. I'm just here to eat my pie in peace.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, love to hear from you!