Friday, November 9, 2012

Sausage-Egg Quiche

Yesterday morning, I heard a terrible thing at 5:45 am. At first, in my half haze, I didn't know what it was. I thought maybe there was some strangely early construction going on, or that I was maybe just imagining it...but slowly my body remembered the sound. The dreaded and cursed sound of snow plows scraping the street.

Lupe and I went for our run anyway and were mostly miserable with the slush and also the freezing sleet rain. But before the sleet rain started, the air felt clean and crisp, if cold. And I saw the kids waiting for the school buses and their sheer, giddy joy over what I considered to be an awful inconvenience, and for a second or two I remembered being a child. And liking snow. And running out into the first snow before it could melt away, and trying to build a snowman. And it was pretty- to see the little houses in our town, nestled in it, with the smoke spiraling out of their chimneys-- until I stepped my sneaker foot into an icy puddle, and I forgot the idyllic feelings I'd been having.

Over the weekend, some friends came to visit, and I make a quick breakfast quiche. Nick got some  sausage from our farmer friends at Brandmoore farm, and it is delicious. In this brunch-worthy dish, it was perfect-- and a little goes a long way. Savory, light, and with a hint of sweetness from the fresh sausage, this meal only takes a few minutes to make (with a pre-prepared crust) and is well worth it.
Ingredients: (serves 5)
3 eggs and 2 eggs whites
one pre-made crust
about one cup frozen or fresh broccoli
about 1/4 cup broken up sausage meat
1/2 tsp herbs de provence
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
1/8 cup milk

Heat a little bit of olive oil in a small pan and cook the sausage until it is just browned. Add the broccoli, and cook a few more minutes. Remove from heat, and beat the 3 eggs and two egg whites until thoroughly combined. Add the milk, herbs, salt, and pepper, and mix until frothy. Line a pie pan or a cast iron pan with the pre-made crust (Trader Joe's obviously has a good one) and pour in the egg mixture, and then the broccoli and sausage, making sure to sort of evenly distribute it. Top with the cheese, and then bake it at 375 for about 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden, and the top is browning up deliciously. 
And there you have it. A tasty, good-for-you weekend breakfast meal. Serve it with some fresh fruit on the side, and a great cup of coffee, and suddenly we're getting fancy!

Guess what. Its Friday. Which means you have the weekend in front of you, and I have only one more day of work! And, the sun is shining. Get outside and walk or run or something because we need to may hay....while the sun shines...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love, love, love to hear from you!